Percussion studies at Southeast Missouri State University are designed to develop a well-rounded percussionist with the highest level of musicianship and an appropriate competency in performance and teaching. The percussion curriculum accomplishes this goal through the following:
- A basic understanding of concepts used and the technical ability to perform on snare drum, keyboard percussion, timpani, drum set, and accessory percussion instruments.
- Experience in solo recital and ensemble performances.
- Performance of a variety of literature in many styles and areas of percussion.
- Attendance and participation at studio classes, recitals, and master classes.
- The understanding of teaching procedures, rehearsal and conducting techniques, and enduring values used to achieve a positive environment to enable the highest level of academic, musical, and personal growth.